In the past, ordering food meant standing in long queues or waiting on hold for an eternity. However, with the advent of online food ordering systems, customers can now order food from their favourite restaurants with just a few clicks on their smartphone or computer.
In this detailed, informative article, we will explore the benefits of online food ordering systems for customers and restaurants and how they transform the food industry.
Why Should You Set Up an Online Food Ordering System?
In this section of the article, we’ll explore the benefits of setting up an online food ordering system and why it’s essential for the success of your food business. So, if you want to take your restaurant or food business to the next level, keep reading!
- It will save money: Many third-party services, such as Uber Eats and Deliveroo, charge up to 30% in fees on each order. There will be some initial costs associated with setting up an online food ordering system.
Still, once it is operational, you must pay a subscription and minor transaction fees. When clients order online through your restaurant website, Square Online only charges 2.2% for each transaction and has a free option with no monthly fees.
- You can bag bigger orders: According to research, customers who buy food online tend to feel more at ease, resulting in larger orders. Additionally, orders made through an online ordering system have been found to be typically bigger.
- What’s more, most online ordering systems provide an opportunity to upsell items to customers during checkout. This means that customers are ordering more, and you can increase sales further by suggesting additional items they may be interested in.
- You can have more control and flexibility: An internal online food ordering system gives you control over everything, including how your products are displayed, how bundles are made, and how many delivery options are available.
- You can retain your clients: You risk losing regular clients when your restaurant is listed alongside others that serve comparable food on third-party websites. Your online buying platform will deter clients from taking advantage of alluring competition offerings and bringing in new ones.
- Options to Set Up an Online Food Ordering System: The setup of an online ordering system can be done for your restaurant in one of three ways:
- Direct connectivity with the website for your restaurant: Your first step should be to see if your current website host supports modules or food-ordering plug-ins to offer online ordering through your present website. Although this choice will provide more flexibility, it will take significantly longer to set up than the other options.
- Use an outside app: The use of third-party apps for food delivery has grown commonplace. A restaurant can reach a large audience of potential consumers by using an app like Deliveroo or Uber Eats. Still, many establishments find the costs — up to 30% of the order’s value — high. With online food ordering system apps, getting started is quick and simple, but your team will still need to re-enter every order into your POS system manually.
- Use a system that is fully integrated: A comprehensive POS system for restaurants combines:
- Point of sale,
- Online ordering,
- Team management, and
- A kitchen display system (KDS).
It is customizable and can be adapted to match your venue’s demands, whether operating a tiny café or a large, full-service facility. It was built exclusively for the restaurant sector.
Given the wide variety of online ordering platforms available, it might be challenging to know what to consider when comparing your alternatives. A good system will enable you to develop a customized answer that captures your restaurant’s operational style and the brand’s colors, look, and feel. Your restaurant will be able to manage online orders in the same manner that you manage in-person sales with the help of an online food ordering system.
As a result, this will save you both the time and effort of manually entering these orders again into your POS. Your online ordering process should function on laptops, tablets, and other mobile devices without a hitch. A sophisticated user interface can also raise the likelihood that your consumers will spend more money and accept upsell recommendations.